Are your children at primary school?
Are you on a career break or working part time?
Do you want to support SET in your child’s school?
Book on one of our FREE Half Day Skills Training workshops:
- Hands-on activity session
- Full briefing on career development and school support opportunities available through School Gate SET
- A free assessment and coaching from qualified StrengthsFinder coach, Dr Jan Peters – you will be a sent a profile assessment to complete in advance of the session.
- Chance to network with like-minded parents
Events start 9.30 am
Events finish 1.30 pm
Lunch and refreshments provided!
Can’t make it?
Please email email@example.com and we will add you to a list for future sessions.
Want to know more before you sign up? Read on…
What’s in it for parents?
For parents with a background in Science, Engineering & Technology (SET), talking to our children about how the world works; taking them to science museums; even doing a few backyard & kitchen experiments, all comes very naturally. Many primary school children, though, don’t get these experiences. Could you help address this gap?
If you choose to sign up as a School Gate SET volunteer you will benefit from:
Free, local, face-to-face training to empower you to deliver SET clubs or presentations in primary schools, or contribute behind the scenes (this is funded by the Royal Academy of Engineering’s Ingenious Fund)
- An impressive addition on your CV
- Networking with SET parents/carers collaborating online and face to face
- Free use of Gallup’s “StrengthsFinder” and personal advice from a qualified coach to be more engaged, more productive and happier in whatever you choose to do
- Learning more about how SET is delivered in primary schools
- Boosting your existing professional skills, experience and confidence
- A sense of achievement
- Challenging any preconceptions primary children might have about what a “scientist” or “engineer” looks like
- A fresh perspective on SET viewed through the eyes of young children
- Helping to make a difference in the local community
- Opportunities to develop your communication skills
- Building a relationship with your local school(s) around SET teaching across all primary school years
Priority for the training sessions will be given to parents/carers with a SET background who are currently on a career break or working part-time. Resources shared through the School Gate SET network are available to all. SET parents/carers in full-time employment might want to consider the STEM Ambassador programme: http://www.stemnet.org.uk